Warming Winter Soup
This is hands down my favourite soup. Super easy to make, and includes your 5-a-day! I never really used to enjoy soup, but I think that maybe comes with age? There's nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of soup on a cold winters day. I woke up today and it was snowing, so the first thought that popped into my head was SOUP!
You will need:
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped into small chunks)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and diced)
- 2 sticks celery (diced)
- 1 white onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large leek (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of vegan bouillon powder
- 750ml of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of coconut cream (the top bit of a can of coconut milk that separates from the coconut milk, it's important NOT to shake the tin before opening, so the cream stays at the top of the can!)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Handful of pumpkin/sunflower seeds to garnish
Heat the oven to 200 Fan. In a roasting tin add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle on the cumin and mix together with your hands, to make sure the potatoes are completely covered in the oil and spice.
Put in the oven and set the timer for 20-25 minutes.
Whilst the potatoes are roasting, add the other 1 tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan. Add the onion and leek. Sauté on a low-medium heat for 5 minutes until soft. Add the carrot, leek, celery, water and bullion powder, stir. Leave to simmer on a low-medium heat until the potatoes have finished cooking.
Once the sweet potatoes have finished roasting, turn off the oven and the hob and allow all the ingredients to cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a blender with the coconut cream, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Serve in a bowl and garish with seeds.
Enjoy! LM x
Don't forget to post to a picture of your creation on Instagram and tag me @lucymarnerfitness so I can see all your hard work!